Wednesday, March 12, 2014

genie-intellicode-h6000a-opens-3-inches-and-stops



Hello All,
Thanks in advance for any input. I have a Genie Intellicode H6000a 1/2 hp Screw drive garage door opener. The opener worked fine for 4-5 years, then a few weeks ago it started going up only 3 inches or so and stop. I called Genie (great customer service) and they walked me through some tests, like opening the door by hand, which is no problem, so I guess that ruled out the spring. They thought it was the motor head and sent me a replacement but it still does the same thing.
It's hard for me to call Genie during the day as I work 10+ hours a day so and by the time I get home they are closed. So I thought I would find a place to see if anyone else out there can help, hoping this is the place. I did some googling and replaced the safe t beam photo sensors, I checked the trolley it is fine. Interestingly if I hold the wall console button down it will go up 90% and stop, but getting it to go down requires multiple pushes of the button. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, this thing is driving me nuts.
Thanks

what happens when you push the OP button without the door engaged?
have you tried removing the J-arm from the trolley and door, engaging the trolley to the OP rail and seeing if it cycles without the door attached?

You probably need to turn the open force control adjustment clockwise. From a random Genie owner's manual:
Set the OPEN force level at the minimum force required to open door without stopping.

Darren,
When I try to open without the trolley engaged the motor spins for a few seconds and stops and spins again for a few seconds. It sounds like it spins in one direction stops the spins in another direction. When the J arm and door are disconnected and the trolley is engaged the trolley moves back a few inches and stops.
Larry,
I have tried adjusting the open force knob to no avail.
Thanks for both of your help, now where do we go from here?

I've experienced a similar problem on a Liftmaster operator. I discovered that the motor speed sensor was not fully engaged on the motor shaft. I don't know if that info is helpful on a Genie operator or not, but it may be worth checking.
I just checked a Genie owner's manual and they call it the Opto Wheel. Just check to make sure that it is properly installed and that the sensor assembly is 'seeing' the wheel.

Dust and cobwebs can mess with the wheel sensor as well.

You can hold the wall button down and it will operate. My experience when this happens is that there is something wrong with the electronic eye sensors. I know you changed them, but really inspect the wiring to make sure there is not a break anywhere. It is the sensors telling the door there is an obstruction and to reverse as a safety feature.

Lone Star,
I believe the opti wheel is seated correctly, it spins freely when the screw is disengaged and spins when the open button is pushed when the screw is engaged. Iam not sure check to see if the sensor is seeing the wheel?
Czizzi,
To test the wiring I pulled the 2 STB sensors off of the wall and placed them 10 inches away from each other and screwed them to a 2x4, I then ran new wiring from the sensors to the power head, and pulled the wall console off and ran new wire to it and then to the power head, the same thing happens when trying to open the door. Door opens only 3 inches and stops. So, the wiring is indeed good.
This is frustrating. I installed the opener to begin with about 4-5 years ago, and I have loved it ever since, but boy once you don't have it, makes you realize how much you miss it. Any other suggestions?

The repair I mentioned, the homeowner actually pinched the wire running an electrical extension cord past his garage door for Christmas Lights. The wire is only a single strand bell wire and broke. I think he had tried to get new sensors to work as well. I found the broken wire and re-attached everything to the original sensors and all worked fine. Its possible that the replacement sensors are not compatible with your opener.

Czizzi,
I forgot to mention that I tried both the old original sensors that I thought were bad in my mock up last night to test wiring as well as the new sensors I purchased. Both sensors exhibited the exact the same issue. I am on the fence about calling a local construction company to come out and look at it for me, they want $160.00 just to look at it. Its hard to justify that cost given that the entire unit was purchased for $250.00 at Home Depot.
I think I am going to try and spend my lunch hour calling Genie today. (If I get a lunch hour). If you think of anything else let me know. I appreciate your help and input. If I do get to talk to Genie I will let you know what they say. .
Thanks Again.

What kind of up and down limit switches do you have? Lever or magnetic style? Make sure they are working correctly...

I just spoke with Genie Tech Support, they pushed me to a Level 2 technician and after some checking we found that the opto wheel had a broken plastic piece on the shaft connection point on the replacement power head they sent me that I could not see at first. She had me pull the opto wheel from the original power head and try that, but she suspected that the opto wheel sensor was damaged from the damaged opto wheel. They are going to send me another power head and see if that fixes it. I will post back next week to let you know if it resolved the issue.
Gun Guy,
The limit switches are contact closure style switches. One sits in the front and one sits on the back of the rail. I cleaned them with a cloth, but that's as far as I got with the limit switches.

You don't by chance have an extension kit attached to this unit do you? I had issues on one that had the extension kit and I now remember it did the same/similar thing. What I found out is that all sections of the rail need to be in perfect alignment. If one section has screws that have worked themselves loose, then the unit binds as it tries to move. If you sit there and continually try to monkey with it, it strips the gear/opto wheel which is only made of plastic.
Check for loose nuts along the rail, make sure it is perfectly flat, and test without the door attached to see if you can get it to move with just the carriage prior to pulling the weight of the door.






Tags: genie, intellicode, h6000a, opens, inches, stops, power head, limit switches, make sure, opto wheel, without door